Sunday, July 13, 2014

Review: We Have Always Lived in the Castle


We Have Always Lived in the Castle
We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Well paced and fascinating, with a dark energy beneath it all. The voice is strong and I love the scene with cousin Charles and Uncle Julian. Basically, lots of things in this story are odd, perhaps untrue. In fact, this is an unreliable narrator story whereby the reader knows this but still trusts the narrator since the facts are less fascinating than the mood.

Hard to describe more without ruining elements of the plot, but at 148 pages, this is not the kind of book that will demand huge amounts of time, so I’d recommend it to anyone who likes gothic fiction.

Only downside is that I expected a bit more out of the ending because the plot climax was substantial and seemed world-altering. Not saying the ending “ruins” anything; it just wasn’t what I expected.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment