Monday, September 29, 2014

Review: Prelude to Bruise


Prelude to Bruise
Prelude to Bruise by Saeed Jones

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



A fantastic collection of poetry that explores connection and loss, strength and weakness, lust and love, and the nature of race in the 21st century. This is a book of poems about being human, seeking out humanity, and sending out a powerful yell to the world, to be heard.

Check out these great lines:
“...a violent pause between your question / and what I will not say. I have no answer; // my throat is the ocean now.”

“I saw us breathing on the other side of after.”


“You answer his fist and the blow
shatters you to sparks.

Unconscious is a better place, but swim back
to yourself.

Behind a door you can’t open, he drinks
to keep loving you,

then wades out into the blue hour.”
--“Cruel Body”





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment